Vietnamese Sandwich Recipe (Bánh Mì Thịt Nguội)
In this recipe, we’ll make steamed seasoned pork belly and how to prepare the Vietnamese Sandwich. The steamed pork is one of the main ingredients for the delicious sandwich! This sandwich is influenced by French during the war. It’s filled with Pâté, Vietnamese ham, steamed seasoned pork, daikon and carrot pickles, and different kinds of veggies that will make you feel full all day long. You can have it for breakfast, lunch, or/and dinner.
Also check out our recipe to make Vietnamese Carrot and Daikon Pickle Recipe, http://www.npfamilyrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-carrot-and-daikon-pickles-do-chua/
Visit our youtube channel for more cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/HR_3rnt91qY?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Vietnamese Sandwich (Bánh Mì Thịt Nguội)
- 2 lb pork belly (cleaned)
- 1 packet roast red pork seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tsp oil
- 8 loaf bread (or baguette)
- 1/2 Vietnamese ham (thinly slices) (optional)
- 1 cucumber (cut into thin strips)
- 2 chili (thinly sliced)
- Daikon and Carrot pickles
- Pâté (optional)
Making the pork
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together roast red pork seasoning mix, salt, sugar, ground pepper, garlic powder, if using, and chicken broth or water. Place in the pork. Cover and marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge for best flavor.
- Remove the pork from the sauce. Place on the foil and roll up the pork tightly. Wrap the pork with the foil until cover. Once again, wrap the pork tightly with a plastic wrap. (This will help the pork not expand too much during the steaming process.)
- Place the pork into the steamer and steam for 45 minutes on medium low heat or until a chopstick inserted through the pork easily.
- Wait until the pork cool down completely and place it into the fridge. It will be ready the next day.
- Remove the outer layers and cut the pork into really thin slices.
Making the sauce
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add minced garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Then pour in the marinated sauce. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove and pour the sauce into a bowl.
Making the Vietnamese Sandwich
- Cut open the breads. Apply Pâté on one side. Pour in the sauce on the other side of the breads. Lay Vietnamese ham, if using, and cooked pork slices along in the breads. Arrange chili slices, cucumber strips daikon and carrot pickles, and cilantro into the breads. Pour in soy sauce as desired.
- Enjoy and good luck!
Main Ingredient Cost Roast red pork seasoning mix $1.58 2 lbs. Pork belly $7.18 Vietnamese ham (half) $2.49 1 cucumber $0.68 1 can of Pâté $1.98 8 loaves of bread $2.32 ----------------------------------------------------- $16.23 ̣($2.03/serving)