Vietnamese Pomelo Salad Recipe (Gỏi Bưởi)
Last week, our local Winco (no affiliation) had pomelos on sale. We got a few of them. Besides eating them as fruit, we also made them as food, Pomelo Salad (Gỏi Bưởi). This is one of the side dishes we used to enjoy as a kid back in our country. The dish is relatively simple to make. It’s a toss up of cooked pork, shrimp and pomelo. It has mixed tastes of sweet and sour. It costs around $5.92 for four servings ($1.48 per serving).
You’ll need a small bowl to make the sauce, a mixing bowl, and a small pot to cook pork and shrimp.
You may also like other salad dish, Spicy Thai Shrimp Mango Salad Recipe.
Check out our youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/A_mJKonDWMg?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Vietnamese Pomelo Salad (Gỏi Bưởi)
- 1/2 lb pork (boiled)
- 1/2 lb shrimp (boiled, peeled, deveined)
- 2 cup pomelo
- 2 mini sweet pepper (yellow)
- 2 mini sweet pepper (red)
- shallot (fried shallot)
- sesame seeds (roasted or crushed peanuts)
For the Dressing
- 3 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice (or vinegar)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Thai chili (minced)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Cut boiled pork into thin strips. Season with 1 tsp. dressing. Set aside.
- Cut yellow and red sweet mini peppers into thin strips. Chop mints finely.
- Separate the pomelo into bite size pieces in a mixing bowl. Place in the rest of vegetables, pork, and shrimps. Pour the dressing over the salad. Mix gently until combined. Garnish with fried shallot and sprinkle with sesame seeds or crushed peanuts.
Main Ingredient Cost 1/2 lb shrimp $2.72 1/2 lb pork $1.50 pomelo $1.70 ----------------------------------------------------- $5.92 ̣($1.48/serving)