In this recipe, we’ll make a healthy vegan mushroom soup. It’s simple and easy to make. All of the ingredients are easy to find at local grocery stores. The main ones, we used, are enokitake mushroom, sweet corn, and tofu. However, you can use your choice of mushroom instead of enokitake.
We used sweet onion, jicama, and dried shiitake mushroom to make the broth. As a result, the broth has a natural sweetness from these vegetables.
Tapioca starch is used to get the soup to a desirable thickness. You can add more or use less the starch to get your desired thickness consistency.
In the end, we had a beautiful soup from the use of multi-color vegetables: yellow of corn, orange from carrot, white of mushroom. So, go ahead and enjoy this delicious and healthy soup!
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/CkSWwe59H6Q?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Vegan Mushroom Soup
- 1 pack silken tofu (8.15 oz)
- 1 dried bean curd sheet (soaked)
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 5 oz Enokitake mushroom
- 3.4 oz carrot
- 1 green onions
- 0.55 oz rock sugar (or regular sugar
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 sweet onion (peeled and cut in halves)
- 3 dried shiitake mushroom (soaked and thinly sliced)
- 1 lb jicama (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 liter water
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a pot, simmer all the Vegetable Broth ingredients on medium low heat for 15 minutes.
- Cut silken tofu and carrot into small cubes. Cut bean curd and Enokitake mushroom into thin strips. Chop green onion well.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Set aside.
- Once the broth is done, discard all the vegetables used in the stock. Season with rock sugar, mushroom seasoning (opt.), and salt. Add carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Then follow with tofu, Enokitake mushroom, sweet corn, and bean curd. Cook for another 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are fully cooked. Thicken the soup with cornstarch mixture until you reach your desired thickness. Finally, add chopped green onion. Sprinkle with ground pepper as desired.
- Served either warm or hot!