Vegan Avocado Tofu Sushi Rolls (no animal products)
We like sushi, but we couldn’t handle the raw sushi. Everything has to be cooked or smoked. In this recipe, we’re going to go even further. We’re going to make Vegan Avocado Tofu Sushi Rolls (no animal products). The rolls actually taste as good as the seafood version. Our daughter enjoys eating these rolls. She also loves the fact that they’re colorful.
To make these rolls, you’ll need sushi rice, tofu, carrot, cucumber, and avocado. You’ll also need bamboo mat to roll the sushi. Finally, you can enjoy them with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/I_QWNrxKqr4?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Vegan Avocado Tofu Sushi Rolls Recipe (Sushi Chay)
- 5 nori sheets
For the rice
- 2 cup sushi rice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vinegar
For the filling
- 1 pack tofu
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp seasoning (mushroom seasoning, optional)
- 3 tsp soy sauce
For the Topping
- kiwi (golden kiwi)
- mango (ripe)
- Cook sushi rice according to bag instruction
- Mix the cooked rice with the mixture of sugar, salt, and vinegar until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut tofu into 1 inch-thick and deep fry for 2 minutes on each side or until nice and golden brown. While waiting for the tofu, mix sugar, mushroom seasoning, if using, and soy sauce in a small bowl and stir well until dissolved. Then pour the sauce mixture over the tofu and cook until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Cut the tofu into strips. Cut cucumber and carrot into strips same size with tofu. Cook carrot for 3 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- Wrap a bamboo mat with plastic wrap, so that the rice won't stick onto the bamboo mat.
- Take 1 sheet of nori and fold it in halves. Then split it. Place only 1 half of nori on the wrapped bamboo mat and place some seasoned rice onto a nori. Spread the rice evenly until it's fully covered the nori sheet by using wet spatula. Then add your fillings, tofu, carrot, cucumber, and avocado slices. Roll everything over. Continue to do so until you finish all the rice and fillings.
- Top the rolls with strawberry and kiwi slices. Cut the rolls into bite size slices.