Tamarind Beef Salad Recipe (Gỏi Bò Tái Me)
This week recipe, we’re making Tamarind Beef Salad (Gỏi Bò Tái Me). This is one of the famous street food in Vietnam. Tamarind and other ingredients will give the this dish its sour, sweet, and spicy taste. The beef is slightly rare and chewy, while the shrimp chips (prawn cracker) are crunchy. A lot of Vietnamese would have this dish with a cup of beer. We’ll have it with a cup of sprite instead :).
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/ZJcdsZgDdZI?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Tamarind Beef Salad (Gỏi Bò Tái Me)
- 1 lb beef (thinly sliced)
- 1.6 oz tamarind
- 1/2 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 oz culantro (chopped)
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- garlic (fried garlic)
- peanuts (crushed)
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Thai chili (sliced)
- In a small bowl, combine very well all the "Sauce" ingredients. Set aside.
- Boil some water in a saucepan over high heat. Place in tamarind and cook for 3 minutes. Strain well to remove any seed.
- Pour the tamarind juice back to the pan. Bring it to a rapid boil; add some sugar and salt. Place in beef slices; cook for few seconds, and remove the beef. (You can cook your beef fully cooked or medium rare if you prefer to)
- Place the cooked beef into a big bowl with the rest of sliced yellow onion, sawtooth herb. Then pour the sauce over the salad. Mix up
- Transfer to a dish. Garnish with fried garlic and crushed peanuts. Deco with cherry tomato that I've already cut into flower shape and with some mints.
- Arrange the shrimp chips around the salad. It can be served with shrimp chips.
- Enjoy and good luck!