Kimchi, the Korean’s fermenting food, is well-known by people around the world. It is the mixture of fruits and vegetables with spices through the fermentation process. The natural sweetness in the Asian pear and sweet rice flour will help with the fermentation process. Depending upon the temperature of where you live, the fermentation time will vary. Higher temperature will speed up the fermentation, while cold temperature will slow it down.
This super simple and easy to make vegan kimchi version is made with cabbage, Asian pear, sweet onion, ginger, garlic gloves, carrots, daikon radish and green onions. This creates a perfect additive side dish for your meal!
Some people prefer to slice the cabbage in halves to make kimchi. For me, I prefer to cut it into small chunks. As a result, the seasoning will absorb into the cabbage well during the fermentation process within a short period of time. The result should be a little spicy, sour, tangy, slightly sweet, and flavorful.
Some people enjoy eating kimchi right after mixing it with kimchi seasoning. Othes enjoy it once kimchi is fermented after 24 hours or after several days. As kimchi ferments, you will see many bubbles floating on the surface, and it is normal. After fermenting, all you have to do is to taste your kimchi to see if you feel happy with its flavor and its taste. Then you can place your kimchi into the refrigerator to store it and to enjoy it for months. With this vegan kimchi, you can enjoy it as a side dish, or you can make Vegan Kimchi Hotpot, or you can eat it with ramen noodles.
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/84WPnWbIO34?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Super Easy Vegan Napa Cabbage Kimchi
- 1 napa cabbage head (about 4 lbs)
- 1 sweet onion (peeled)
- 1/2 Asian pear (peeled)
- 3 glove garlic (peeled)
- 1 oz ginger (peeled)
- 2 small carrot (peeled)
- 6 oz white radish (peeled)
- 4 green onion
- 1/2 cup Korean chili
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegan fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp sweet rice flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
Prepping the cabbage the cabbage:
- Cut napa cabbage into quarter, remove its cord, and cut each quarter into chunk about 1-2 inches.
- Place the cabbage into a big bowl and add ½ cup of sea salt (you may need 1 cup of water, too) and massage into the cabbage. Then leave it for at least 2 hours or until your cabbage become wilted.
- Squeeze the cabbage out and rinse well for several time with water to remove salty taste.
Making vegan kimchi seasoning:
- In a small pot, add water and sweet rice flour. Cook and stir constantly for 1 minute or until thickened. Then let it cool down completely.
- Julienne the carrots, radish, and green onion. Slice half of sweet onion thinly. Set aside.
- Puree the Asian pear, ½ sweet onion, and garlic gloves until smooth. Pour it into the vegetable bowl along with the sweet flour mixture. Then add Korean chili, vegan fish sauce, and 1 tbsp. sugar. Mix all up.
Mixing the kimchi
- Mix your vegan kimchi seasoning with cabbage well. Mix it well to coat.
- Pack your Kimchi into glass jars. Make sure you leave a little room at the top and cover. Let them sit out at room temperature for at least 24 hours. Then it is ready to be served!