We made this scrumptious dish for Chinese New Year / Lunar New Year / Tết / Spring Festival celebration. We believe that this beautiful dish will help bring luck to the whole year!
Imperial Omelette has a shape of Fenghuang (as in Dragon and Fenghuang). Fenghuang is a mystical bird with magical power. We made the head using carrot and deco with vegetables, including onions, cucumber, and norfork pine. You can also use lettuce for decoration. Its tails are made from pork paste, carrot, green beans, roasted seaweeds, and eggs. These ingredients create the perfect combination of multiple color for the dish. And our people believe that a colorful and beautiful dish will help bring good luck to the New Year! Each roll of egg has yellow color and it looks like gold. Therefore, people believe that having the dish in new year will bring good luck and wealth to the entire year; The name of the dish is meaningful to bring best wish and good luck, too.
We make this dish for the Chinese New Year’s Eve dinner to share with everyone in our family because we wish everyone an auspicious year!
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/YlknheediIo?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Simple and Easy with Imperial Omelette for New Year’s Eve
- 340 gram uncooked pork paste
- 4 egg
- 1 carrot
- 4 green bean
- 4 roasted seaweed sheet
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tbsp ground peper
- 1/4 tbsp annatto oil (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- cornstarch mixture (1 tbsp. tapioca starch + 1 tbsp. water)
- Peel and cut carrot into strips (5-6 mm thick). Cut off two ends of green beans. Steam the vegetables for 3 minutes.
- Season pork paste with garlic powder, ground pepper, and a dash of salt. Mix well until combined. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowls. Add some salt, annatto oil (opt.), and cornstarch mixture. Beat well.
- Brush oil on a hot non-stick pan and cook on medium low heat, pour the egg mixture over the pan. Swirl around in a circular motion to distribute the egg evenly and cook until set about 1 minute. Transfer the fried egg onto a plate.
- Place fried egg on a plate. Scoop 1 teaspoon of pork paste mixture and spread over the egg surface. Place 1 roasted seaweed on it and continue to spread 1 tablespoon of pork paste mixture on the seaweed. Then place the steamed carrot in between.
- Once again, cover the carrot with 1 tablespoon of pork paste mixture. Put steamed green beans over and wrap up the egg.
- Steam the egg rolls for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the rolls cool down completely before you cut them into slices.
- Make the bird head from carrot and decorate with vegetables, including carrot, onions, cucumber, and norfork pine.
- Arrange the rolls on a plate as in the picture and enjoy the food with chili sauce or soy sauce!