Recipe for Rice Macaroni Pork Rib Soup (Súp Nui Sườn Heo)
A recipe for Vietnamese soup popular in the south, Rice Macaroni Pork Rib Soup (Sup Nui Suon Heo). It’s usually sold as street food for breakfast. This healthy soup is made with a lot of vegetable. We usually have it hot on a cold day or have it warm on a hot summer day when we don’t really want eat anything except drinking water. It’s easy for kids to eat as all vegetables are cook until somewhat soft or as soft as you like. For the ribs, we usually get the riblets at our local Winco at $1.50/lb. For vegetables, we usually use sweet potatoes, carrots, daikon, celery, etc.
To make this soup, you’ll need two pots. One to cook the macaroni, and one to make the soup. You can also use pressure cooker to cook the riblets to save time.
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/hO35bqMoFlk?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Cách nấu Súp Nui Suờn Heo với khoai lang, cà rốt, củ cải trắng, và cần tây.
Rice Macaroni Pork Rib Soup (Súp Nui Sườn Heo)
- 1.5 lb pork ribs (pork riblets or chicken breasts)
- 1 lb macaroni (or rice macaroni)
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes
- 1/2 lb daikon
- 1/2 lb carrots
- 1/2 lb celery
- 1 yellow onion (peeled)
- green onions
- shallots (fried shallots)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2.5 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- Bring water to a boil on high heat. Place in pork riblets and cook for 5-10 minutes or until all the impurity raise to the top.
- Dump out the whole pot and wash the riblets carefully with tap water. (We also wash the pot, too :)) Place the riblets back to the pot. Fill with water, about 1 gallon. Add salt, sugar, and yellow onion. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. (If you don't have time, you can use chicken broth instead.)
- Cook macaroni following the instruction on the package. Rinse and toss to remove excess water. Pour oil into the macaroni and mix up. (This will help prevent them from sticking together.) Set aside.
- Chop green onion and cilantro finely. Dice sweet potato, daikon, carrot, and celery into small cubes.
- After 30 minutes, discard yellow onion from the broth pot. Pour the rest of diced sweet potato, daikon, carrot, and celery into the pot. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until all the vegies are just tender. Then pour in diced celery and cook for 2 minutes. Adjust your taste with fish sauce or some salt.
- Ladle the soup into the macaroni bowl. Garnish with chopped green onion, cilantro, and fried shallot. Sprinkle with ground pepper.
- OR you can pour the rest of macaroni into the pot. Then place in chopped green onion, cilantro, and fried shallot. Sprinkle with ground pepper. Stir up and enjoy!