Recipe Mixed Fruit Roll Cake (Bánh Bông Lan Cuộn)
Our daughter asked if we could make some dessert for her for the holidays. So we made this recipe for her, Mixed Fruit Roll Cake (Banh Bong Lan Cuon). It is a soft, fluffy, and spongy cake, filled with delicious homemade whipping cream and layered with fruitcake mix. You can use pre-made fruitcake mix and use fresh chopped fruit. This is a great dessert and a great treat in parties and celebrations. In the end, our daughter enjoyed both making and finally eating the cake with her bare hands :).
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes
[youtube https://youtu.be/lfhl1NEFy0A?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Mixed Fruit Roll Cake (Bánh Bông Lan Cuộn)
For the Cake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
For the filling
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- fruit (or fruitcake mix)
- Preheat oven to 350F
Making the Fillings
- Add cold whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract (if using) into a cold metal mixing bowl. Whisk until stiff peak form. Place in the fridge.
Making the Cake
- In a small bowl, combine butter and whole milk. Microwave for 30 seconds. Let it cool down completely.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- In the egg white bowl, add 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes or until stiff peak form. Set aside.
- In the egg yolk bowl, add 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, butter and milk mixture, and sift in all-purpose flour and corn starch. Whisk until we have a nice, smooth, and creammy mixture.
- Fold gently the egg white into the egg yolk mixture until just incorporated. (Fold a little bit egg white at a time; also, don't fold too hard since it will deflate the egg white)
- Pour the batter into a baking pan (13 in x 9 in) lined with a parchment paper. Tap the pan on the counter for a few times to break any small bubble in the batter. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan. Cut edges of the cake. Since the cake is still warm, roll up to create shape for the cake. Let the cake cool down completely.
- Spread a generous amount of the cream onto the cake. Lay fruitcake mix or fresh fruits on the cream.
- Gently roll the cake over. It can be served right away or covered and stored in the fridge. Enjoy!
- Most importantly, our whisks and bowls should be as dry and clean as possible.
- Be really careful while separating the eggs because we don't want the egg yolks are in the egg whites. Otherwise, our recipe may not work.
- Don't over bake the cake since it will toughen the cake.