We usually plant Luffa gourd every year. The plants would bloom many flowers and produce lots of fruits. We typically cook them in many different ways: making soup, stir frying, steaming,…and sometimes, we use up all the male flowers to make soups with meat; it tastes pretty good. In this recipes, Luffa Soup with Shrimp Balls (Canh Mướp Tôm Viên), Luffa gourd is really tasty and fresh when it is combined with shrimps and green onions.
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
Luffa Soup with Shrimp Balls (Canh Mướp Tôm Viên)
Luffa gourd soup combined with shrimps and green onions.
- 1/2 lbs shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 luffa gourd (medium size)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 cups water
- 3 green onion
- 1.5 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- Peel and cut luffa gourds into 1 inch.
- Cut green onions in half; chop the top finely and mince the remaining well. Chop cilantro. Set aside.
- Mince the shrimps well. Place into a bowl. Add 1/2 tsp. fish sauce, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, and minced onion. Mix well. Marinate for 5 minutes.
- Bring 7 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. sugar. Scoop out the shrimps by using a small spoon and drop it into boiling water.
- Cook the shrimp balls for 2 minutes. Skim off the foam occasionally.
- Add luffa gourds. Stir up. Bring to a boil again. Cook until the luffa gourds just starting to soften for 2 minutes more. Add 1 tsp. fish sauce to taste.
To serve: Ladle the soup into a bowl. Top with green onion, cilantro. Sprinkle with a pinch of ground black pepper.