Halloween theme recipe, Stuffed Bell Pepper with ground pork, shrimp and oyster sauce. The kids will have fun time making and eating this Jack-o’-lantern.
Mama always says, don’t play with your food. However, this time of the year, Halloween season, we actually will have fun with food. This year, we decided to make Jack-O’-Lantern Stuffed Bell Pepper with Oyster Sauce. This recipe is very simple to make with a few main ingredients, including bell peppers, ground pork, and minced shrimps. The kids were really excited when they looked at these cute little Jack-O’-Lantern Stuffed Peppers, bathing in the oyster sauce. They asked if they could have these Jacks immediately even though the peppers were still hot inside. That made us happy since they did not like any dish with bell pepper before, but this time was different. Every parents probably know that we need to be creative so that kids would eat vegetables. We considered this dish a success when our kids eat bell peppers 🙂 I would make the dish once again in the Halloween night for them.
Tools we used to create this recipe: X-ACTO 2 Knife With Safety Cap and glass baking pan.
Happy Halloween everyone!
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/9oATmUiY6bs?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Halloween Jack-o’-lantern – Stuffed Bell Pepper with Oyster Sauce
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb shrimp (minced)
- 4 bell pepper (any color)
- 4 oz carrot
- 4 Chinese mushroom
- 4 green onion
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
For the oyster sauce
- 1 cup oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic glove (minced)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
Making the sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the oyster sauce ingredients, except vegetable oil and minced garlic, until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Pour in the sauce mixture. Cook for 3 minutes or until reach to your desired consistency. Pour the sauce into a clean bowl. Set aside.
Making jack-o'-lantern Stuffed peppers
- Dice carrot and Chinese mushroom into small cubes. Chop green onion finely.
- In a mixing bow, combine ground pork, minced shrimp, diced carrots, diced Chinese mushrooms, chopped green onions, and the remaining the jack-o'-lantern stuffed peppers ingredients, except bell peppers. Mix well and marinate for now.
- Using a sharp knife to cut jack-o'-lantern face with 2 circles for his eyes, 1 triangle for his nose, and pointy teeth smile. Then cut off the top in a zig-zag pattern. Remove the seeds inside the peppers.
- Fill each pepper with the filling. Replace the top.
- Place jack-o'-lantern Stuffed peppers into a baking pan. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. (You can also steam Jack-O'-Lantern Stuffed Peppers in a steamer.)
- Transfer jack-o'-lantern Stuffed pepper on a serving dish. Pour the sauce in the front to create a bloody looking scene. Enjoy and Good luck!
Main Ingredient Cost Pork $1.99 Shrimp $5.99 4 Bell pepper $2.00 ----------------------------------------------------- $9.98 ̣($2.50/serving)