Recipe for Grilled Beef in Betel Leaf (Bò Nướng Lá Lốt)
After a trip to Florida, we got some betel leaves from our mother’s garden. Looking at her beautiful shiny green garden growing and sparkling in the morning sunlight, especially the betel section (piper lolot), made us craving for something that is quite special. Something that made us recalled our childhood. The dish is Grilled Beef in Betel Leaf/ Bo Nuong La Lot. The dish was actually made from well-seasoned ground beef, which was wrapped carefully in betel leaves. The wrapped rolls would release the good fragrance flying on air while she was grilling outdoor. We couldn’t resist the wonderful smell of the seasoned beef betel leaf rolls releasing while grilling, and the sizzling funny sound it made. We kids were very hungry by the time, but still patiently sat surround the barbecue grill looking at Mama’s spectacular way of grilling.
Now it’s our turn to make the dish for our beloved children. It is more fun when our children enjoy lending a hand making this dish. Hopefully, someday they would pass the great moments and the recipe to their kids as our Mama did to us before.
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/ko4eDmrRozo?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Grilled Beef Betel Leaf Recipe (Bò Nướng Lá Lốt)
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 3.3 oz betel leaves
- 65 oz lemongrass (chopped)
- 3 shallots (peeled)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp low sodium chicken stock powder (optional)
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
Ingredients for scallion oil
- 4 tsp butter
- 1 bun green onions (chopped)
- 1 pinch salt
- bell pepper (cut into square pieces)
- yellow onion (cut into square pieces)
- Wash the betel leaves gently with tap water. Then use a paper towel or a kitchen towel to dry them. Set aside.
- Blend together all the ingredients in a food processor, except ground beef and betel leaves, until smooth. Then Pour it into a ground beef bowl. Mix until well combined.
- To make the rolls, place the leaf with shiny side down. Then place in about 1 tsp. ground beef mixture. Fold left and right sides; roll up. Then poke a hole on the leaf by using a toothpick; insert the leaf stem to secure the roll. Thread the rolls onto skewers alternately with yellow onion and bell pepper slices.
- Grease a baking pan with some cooking oil. Place all the rolls onto the pan. Then brush slightly with some cooking oil.
- Bake at 400F in a preheat oven for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through, or grill the rolls on medium-high.
- To make the scallion oil: Melt some butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Place in chopped green onion and stir fry until fragrant. Add some salt to taste. Stir well and remove from heat.
- To assemble the dish: Place the rolls on a plate. Top with scallion oil and some crushed peanuts.
- Served hot!