Gimbap – Kimbap Recipe (Cơm Cuộn Hàn Quốc)
In this recipe, we make one of the most popular dish in Korea, Gimbap – Kimbap (Cơm Cuộn Hàn Quốc). It can be made as light lunch, for picnics and outdoor events. The recipe is super easy to make. The main ingredients are steamed sushi rice, dried seaweed sheet, cooked beef, eggs, and colorful vegetables. The dish comes out beautiful and delicious. You’ll need a rice cooker to cook the sushi rice and a small pan to stir fry other ingredients. Our daughter was a little skeptical of this dish since it doesn’t look like anything she’s used to. However, she enjoyed them in the end. We have them with soy sauce and a few slices of Thai chili.
Check out our youtube channel for more short cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/bq2vrMnu0q8?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Gimbap - Kimbap Recipe (Cơm Cuộn Hàn Quốc)
- 3 cup sushi rice (cooked)
- 1 lb beef strips
- 1/2 lb fresh spinach (or cucumber)
- 4 oz sliced carrots
- 1/2 lb radishes (sweet yellow pickled)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 6 nori sheets (roasted seaweed sheets)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Marinate the beef with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar, 1/4 tablespoon of ground pepper, 2 tablespoon of soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. Mix well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Season cooked rice with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1/4 tablespoon of salt, and 1/4 tablespoon of ground pepper. Mix until combined.
- Fry the beaten eggs with 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Use the same pan and add 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Place in spinach. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of ground pepper. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil into that pan. Pour in stripped carrots. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of ground pepper. Stir fry until tender about 2-3 minutes.
- Once again, add 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil into the same pan. Place in marinated beef. Stir fry until fully cooked.
- Cut fried eggs and pickled radish into strips.
- Place one roasted seaweed sheet on a bamboo sushi rolling mat with the smooth side facing down and the rough side facing up. Place about 1/2 cup of seasoned rice on the seaweed sheet. Spread the rice out evenly. Arrange fried egg strip, beef, spinach, carrot, and pickled radish strip in the center of rice. Roll everything up firmly until closed. Squeeze the rolling mat tightly. (This helps Gimbap firmly stick together.)
- Rub a little bit amount of sesame oil on Gimbap so that it will be shiny and beautiful.
- Cut Gimbap into bite-sized slices. It can be served with soy sauce and hot chili slices or with kimchi.
- Here's the picture of the sweet pickled radish package.