Crispy Roast Pork Belly Recipe (Thịt Heo Quay)
Who likes to have this flavorful dish??? Get ready to make the most scrumptious dish with pork recipe. Crispy Roast Pork Belly (Thịt Heo Quay) is a fancy dish with crispy skin and savory meat and typically served in special celebrations, especially in wedding. It is also served in daily meals. It can be served by itself or with a bowl of rice noodle, vegetable, and soy sauce/hoisin sauce. The skin is usually crispy and red while the meat has to be juicy and tender. It’s also known as Cantonese roast pork belly, siu yuk.
It takes about 8 hours to marinate the meat in the fridge, and it usually takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour roast the pork belly depending on how thick the pork belly is.
Visit our youtube channel for more cooking videos, https://www.youtube.com/NPFamilyRecipes.
[youtube https://youtu.be/h-eN_1OkUH8?rel=0 frameborder=0 allowfullscreen]
Crispy Roast Pork Belly (Thịt Heo Quay)
- 2.6 lb pork belly (cleaned)
For the marinating sauce
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cooking wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce
For the vinegar mixture
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vinegar (or lime juice)
- 2 drop red food coloring (optional)
- Take 2 different bowls. In 1 bowl, combine the marinating sauce ingredients. Stir well until dissolved. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the vinegar mixture ingredients. Stir well. Set aside.
- Make a few small cuts in the meat about 1/2-inch deep and 1-inch apart. Brush the meat with marinating sauce bowl. (Remember brush the sauce only into the meat, "NOT" on the skin)
- Turn the pork over with skin side up. Wipe dry the skin with paper towel. (The skin "MUST" be as dry as possible to achieve its crispiness.) Use something sharp to poke gently all over the skin as many as possible. Brush the skin with vinegar mixture.
- Marinate the pork at least 8 hours or overnight in the fridge with skin face up without covering.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the pork with skin side up into a baking pan with aluminum foil. Once again, use paper towel to wipe dry the skin. Then brush the vinegar mixture onto the skin. Place the pork into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, brush vinegar mixture one more time onto the skin. Continue to bake for another 20 minutes. Then Turn the oven to BROIL. Cook for 5-10 minutes. (Please keep an eye on the pork at this time to prevent any burning.)
- Cut the roast pork following the cuts we made earlier. Then chop it into bite-size pieces. It can be served alone, with cooked rice, or rice vermicelli and some kinds of herbs and also with soy sauce. Enjoy!
Cost of Main Ingredients 2.6 lbs. pork belly $9.33 ($1.87/serving)